Prep: about 30 mins; Cook: 1.5 hours (30 mins active); Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 small sweet onions
- 1 large shallot (2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
Original recipe here.
1. Cook bacon in heavy pan on medium-high. Discard of some grease (optional).
2. Thinly slice onions and shallots. Add to pan and cook with bacon on medium until soft (8 minutes).
3. Add syrup, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and water to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir and bring to boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour until glossy.
5. Cool mixture for 30 mins. Add to blender. Pulse until chunky consistency of marmalade.
6. Store in airtight container up to one month.
A jar of bacon marmalade would make a good gift, yeah?